Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 2002 20:32:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        FreeBSD LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   Fwd: cvsup vs cvsupd?

From the Handbook on the freebsd.org website:
"The term CVSup, capitalized just so, refers to the entire software
package. Its main components are the client cvsup which runs on each user's
machine, and the server cvsupd which runs at each of the FreeBSD mirror sites."

! I was under the impression that cvsup'ing would simply do a series of
anonymous ftp's to a remote directory.  Does the cvsupd [daemon] run on a
particular port, using its own specific [newfangled] protocol?

"Note: If you are going to be using CVSup on a machine which will not have
XFree86 installed, such as a server, be sure to use the port which does not
include the CVSup GUI, cvsup-without-gui = http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/url.cgi?ports/net/cvsup/pkg-descr.nogui/"

! I think after this sentence, there ought to be a hyperlink or explanation
about how to use a GUI version of CVSup (xcvsup?)  Note to the webmaster,
the word XFree86 ought to be a link to www.xfree86.org or that section of
the FreeBSD online handbook.

"If you do not know anything about CVSup at all and want a single package
which will install it, set up the configuration file and start the transfer"

! Wait wait wait, what's a configuration file?  You mean one for pkg_add?

"...via a pointy-clicky type of interface, then get the net/cvsupit
package. Just hand it to pkg_add(1) and it will lead you through the
configuration process in a menu-oriented fashion."

! I did `pkg_add -r cvsupit` and that threw me immediately (successfully)
into a sysinstall type of application (so I would recommend the Handbook
mention this precise command line).  Also, a complaint about the cvsupit
menu -- it isn't clear how to drill down beyond /usr/ports/src or /usr/src
(I get mixed up) and update just one source.

! For example, in my case, I just sent it whirring away then ran `du -hs
/usr/ports` and was told it was 12M then 13M (megs) and so interrupted it.
All I need [require] to do is update KDE 2.2.2 to 3.0.1 but the task
stretches before me monumentally.  :(

"A.6.3 CVSup Configuration - CVSup's operation is controlled by a
configuration file called the supfile.  There are some sample supfiles in
the directory /usr/share/examples/cvsup/."

! That last path there is a hyperlink to exactly what it says, rather than
to something like http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/usr/share/examples/cvsup
- because when I click it, the PWD (present working directory) becomes
/usr/share/examples/cvsup and an `ls -al` shows

total 4
drwxr-xr-x   2 root  wheel   512 Jun 10 21:17 .
drwxr-xr-x  41 root  wheel  1024 Jul 15 08:51 ..

! So I don't get to see what a supfile looks like this time around.  Grrr.

"The information in a supfile answers the following questions for cvsup:
Which files do you want to receive?
Which versions of them do you want?
Where do you want to get them from?
Where do you want to put them on your own machine?
Where do you want to put your status files?"

! Isn't it simpler to just say something like 'files, versions, remote_dir,
local_dir, and status files' (whatever status files are!)

! I am going to read on but could someone cvsup-savvy (a CVSyuppie?)
address some of my stumblings please?  THANKSup.

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder