Date:      Fri, 12 Apr 2002 01:18:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      doug <doug@safeport.com>
To:        "JustinL. Boss" <jlboss@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Still not sure about STABLE and CURRENT

Stable - Stable - Stable. Seriously, stuff gets put into CURRENT before it
is ready for prime time much less for a production system. That is the
definition of CURRENT. There are a couple of ways you can track stable:

    tag=RELENG_4_5       used only for security and critical fixes
    tag=RELENG_4         STABLE

All this is covered in A.7 in the handbook. I update production systems
from common source using the following scheme:

    1) run it on workstation(s)
    2) if all is okay update name server
    3) if all is still okay do the rest.

This has be covered at length if you go through the the archives of
questions and stable lists.