Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 1995 01:39:38 +0300 (MSK)
From:      =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= (aka Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage) <ache@astral.msk.su>
To:        ache@freefall.freebsd.org, John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ld.so, LD_NOSTD_PATH, and suid/sgid programs

In message <m0t7SFB-000078C@seattle.polstra.com> John Polstra writes:

>Can you see a security reason for disabling LD_NOSTD_PATH for suid/sgid
>programs?  If not, I think that the recent change should be removed from
>rtld.c.

In this case I keep in mind some shell script execution which calls
setuid programs. By setiing LD_NOSTD_PATH user allows such
programs easily fails, it is clear. Here can be very unpleasant
side effect that usually shell scripts not expects setuid
programs failing for such reasons and have lack of error traping
at this point. It can leads to unpredictable things in
shell script execution flow.

--
Andrey A. Chernov        : And I rest so composedly,  /Now, in my bed,
ache@astral.msk.su       : That any beholder  /Might fancy me dead -