Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 23:36:08 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        J_Shevland@TurnAround.com.au
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Richard Levenberg <richard_levenberg@securecomputing.com>, java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can I help with the JDK2 port?

> > > I can't speak for the list but I think something should be done along
> > > these lines.
> >
> > Along what lines?
>
> <quote>
> "Is there a list of projects that I could look at and maybe choose
> something..."
> </quote>

There isn't anything.  'Port Java2 to FreeBSD' is pretty much an all or
nothing issue, at least until we get *something* that mostly works.

> > > The porting team are working on the Java 2 port, and are awaiting or
> > > looking at the Linux port I believe.
> >
> > That's the current status.  However, anyone is free to start working on
> > the Java2 port on their own.
>
> Nice reply; fills me with a sense of companionship and cooperation.

I could sugar coat it, but I found in the 5 or so years I've been doing
the FreeBSD thing that the bare ugly truth tends to be a better line
than lots of nice feeling messages.

The fact of the matter is that there isn't anything significant
happening, so there's nothing to colloborate or test.

If you're not willing to jump in on your own and do it, then having a
bunch of other people to colloborate with isn't going to make things any
different.

Nate