Date:      Mon, 12 Jun 2000 02:10:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      jpmg@eng.cam.ac.uk
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/18810: Handbook 18.4.2 should refer to /etc/defaults/make.conf

The following reply was made to PR docs/18810; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: jpmg@eng.cam.ac.uk
To: alex@big.endian.de
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG, jpmg@eng.cam.ac.uk
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 10:02:34 +0100 (BST)

 > I suggest something different, such as:
 >
 > Examine the file /etc/defaults/make.conf, which contains the default
 > defines for make which will be used when you rebuild your source.
 > They are also used every time you use make, so it is a good idea to
 > make sure they are set to something sensible for your system.
 >
 > If you want to change one or more of the values that are used by make,
 > edit the file /etc/make.conf and add the variables with the new values
 > here. All variables, that are listed in /etc/make.conf overwrite the
 > default values found in /etc/defaults/make.conf.
 >
 > For a typical user (not a FreeBSD developer), you will probably want
 > to use the CFLAGS and NOPROFILE lines.
 >
 > Example: Add
 >
 > NOPROFILE=true
 >
 > to your /etc/make.conf file.

 Although I can see why you want to change it to that, I think that I
 disagree with it, since:

 1) the first paragraph of your suggestion implies (until one has read
    the next paragraph) that the place that one should "set the defines
    to something sensible for your system" is in /etc/defaults/make.conf ,
    since that's all that's been mentioned so far.

 2) /etc/defaults/make.conf contains very little that affects the
    behaviour of make, since it's all commented out.  As far as I can
    tell, it is there purely as a form of documentation of what might
    make sense to change.  This isn't what your version implies ...

 -patrick.