Date:      Thu, 10 Feb 2005 01:51:16 -0700
From:      Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC <chad@shire.net>
To:        Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>, r p <freebsd99@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: jail manpage

On Feb 10, 2005, at 12:50 AM, r p wrote:

>> On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 14:12:06 -0600, Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>
> wrote:
>>> I've been trying get jails working on my 5.3-RELEASE-p2 machine.
>>> I've tried following the instructions in man 8 jail
>>>
>>> D=/here/is/the/jail
>>> cd /usr/src
>>> mkdir -p $D
>>> make world DESTDIR=$D
>>> cd etc
>>> make distribution DESTDIR=$D
>>> mount_devfs devfs $D/dev
>>> cd $D
>>> ln -sf dev/null kernel
>>>
>>> It dies at make world DESTDIR=$D with the following error:
>>>
>>> cc -0 -pipe -I/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/legacy/usr/include
>>> c/usr/src/games/fortune/strfile/strfile.c
>>>
>>> make: don't know how to make /jail/test/usr/lib/libc.a. Stop
>>> ***Error code 2
>>> Stopping /usr/src
>
> Hi,
>
> I had the same problem. Googling showd me to use the line "env
> DESTDIR=$D make world" instead of "make world DESTDIR=$D". After I did
> this it all worked fine.

Hmm, I will have to try that.  I posted this same problem a few days
ago.  Never did get an answer, though I figured out a solution myself.
This problem actually goes back to when 5.3 first came out.  There was
a problem and the fix got committed to the -STABLE branch but it
appears it never got into the -RELEASE branch.  I went to
5.3-RELEASE-p5 about  a week ago and had a similar or same problem as
the OP.

My solution was to take the Makefile and Makefile.inc from the root of
the source directory from a -STABLE src tree and stick them in my
-RELEASE source tree.  That allowed me to build fine and the jails work
just fine.  Of course, this is not the best solution.

Chad