Date:      Wed, 9 May 2001 16:39:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Norbert Papke <npapke@acm.org>
To:        <java@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Baffled: Linux JDK 1.3.0 Port

I am running into some strange behavior with the Linux JDK 1.3.0 port.  I
am really hoping that somebody could set me straight on what is going on.

If a build a java app (even a simple "Hello world") and try to run it from
my home directory I inevitably get the following error:

   % java Hello
   Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Hello

However, the exact same class file executed from /tmp works perfectly.
To eliminate directory pathname lengths, I've tried the same in
subdirectories under /tmp (several long names).  Still works.

I've tried different user directories and I get the same error.

I've set and unset CLASSPATH in I don't know how many different ways
without any impact.

Does anybody have any idea what may be going on?  I think I am losing my
mind ...

Not sure if this is important but I am running a very recent 4.3 Stable
build.

Cheers,

-- Norbert Papke.
   npapke@acm.org