Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2006 08:14:45 -0700
From:      "Atom Powers" <atom.powers@gmail.com>
To:        "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Nagy_L=E1szl=F3_Zsolt?=" <nagylzs@freemail.hu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LDAP Thunderbird and security (OFF)

On 7/17/06, Nagy L=E1szl=F3 Zsolt <nagylzs@freemail.hu> wrote:
> Nagy L=E1szl=F3 =EDrta:
> >
> >  Hello,
> >
> > I would like to create an LDAP server, for storing address book
> > information for Thunderbird.
> > Do you know a
> > solution, definitely for FreeBSD, that is relatively easy to setup on
> > the client side, and secure?
> I could setup openldap, and my thunderbird can connect to it. But I
> cannot add persons to that address book. I also asked this on the
> openldap mailing list, but I had no answer since two days. I read
> somewhere that Thunderbird requires a special schema to be present on
> the LDAP server. Anybody out there who could use openldap with thinderbir=
d?

First, OpenLDAP isn't easy to set up; but it's worth the trouble.
You should probably move this to the openldap list, or the thunderbird
list, since it really has nothing to do with FreeBSD.

I have Thurderbird reading my directory, but I haven't worked on
getting Thunderbird to write to an LDAP directory. You need to set up
your LDAP with TLS and the proper ACLs; and depending on your
situation you may want a seperate ou for the address book. Maybe even
a seperate ou for each user (ouch). No special schema required, it
should read the standard "mail", "phone", etc attributes. Check the
LDAP RFCs for a complete list.

--=20
--
Perfection is just a word I use occasionally with mustard.
--Atom Powers--