Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 1995 21:38:06 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        sycheng@cis.ufl.edu
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xconsole: Couldn't open console

As sycheng@cis.ufl.edu wrote:

>     Please forgive me if this is a stupid question. the "xconsole" on my
>   machine always generate "Couldn't open console" message. I do include the
>   "UCONSOLE" and "XSERVER" options but still got no luck. Could anyone tell
>   me why ? I am using the lastest current codes.

Who's the owner of your /dev/console?

If you're not running xdm (and use the GiveConsole/TakeConsole scripts
for chown'ing /dev/console), it's likely that your console device
ain't owned by yourself.

Option "XSERVER" is only still needed with pcvt, and option "UCONSOLE"
just means that non-root users are allowed to redirect the console,
provided they can open /dev/console.

--
cheers, J"org