Date:      Fri, 03 Nov 2000 20:16:49 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Marius Bendiksen <mbendiks@eunet.no>
Cc:        Randell Jesup <rjesup@wgate.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Like to commit my diskprep

Marius Bendiksen wrote:

> Not to bring out the paint early, but I have a suggestion, should the
> concept of hog partitions be introduced (regardless of whether you stick
> them in disklabel, diskpart, or yadisklabel3): make it possible to define
> multiple variable-sized partitions, with percentile ratio to use from the
> hog-space, ie.
>
> /       64m
> /var    128m
> /usr    50%
> /home   50%
>
> That would yield more flexibility, at a (hopefully) low additional cost in
> code.

With a 'disk hog' partition editor, this is simple to do.  As you add each
partition, it shows you the amount of space now allocated to the disk hog.
If you have /home assigned as the disk hog, when you finish adding /, /var,
and swap space, simply choose about half of the space show for /home as
your space for /usr.

The same holds true for when you want, say 25% for /usr, 25% for /var, and
the rest for /home.  Make /home the hog, add / and swap, then divide the
space in /home by 4.  Add that much for /usr and /var and save.

All of these were well-known tricks on SunOS.