Date:      Mon, 9 Nov 1998 11:28:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      garman@earthling.net
To:        wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu
Cc:        dg@root.com, eivind@yes.no, jfieber@indiana.edu, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The infamous dying daemons bug

On  8 Nov, Garrett Wollman wrote:
> Totally unrelated to the problem.  It seems, so far as I was able to
> characterize, to happen to daemons which are *swapped out* at the time
> of the memory shortage.  If it's active enough to still be in core, it
> doesn't get spammed.

Yes, this fits the symptoms i'm seeing here with samba.  The daemon
will be fine as long as it has not been swapped out; after that, it's
*poof*.  That's also probably why people with heavy-use samba servers
haven't seen this problem.

enjoy
--
Jason Garman                                      http://garman.dyn.ml.org/