Date:      Sun, 14 Jun 1998 08:49:44 +0200 (CEST)
From:      malte@webmore.com
To:        Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Steve Gibbison <sgibbison@sprint.ca>, Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Subject:   Re: ICQ

On 14-Jun-98 Ludwig Pummer wrote:
> At 03:16 AM 6/12/98 -0700, Doug White wrote:
>>On Thu, 11 Jun 1998, Steve Gibbison wrote:
>>
>>> Now that ICQ is available on Linux as a Java application is it possible
>>> for it to run on Freebsd?
>>
>>It's Java!  It'll run anywhere!
>>
>>Doug White                              | University of Oregon
> Yes, the Java ICQ works fine on FreeBSD. After installing jdk1.1.5 (there's
> a link on a page linked to by ICQ's Java download page), Java ICQ worked. I
> did notice a few problems, like the lack of a message history function and
> sending a message to an offline user was taking forever (this may have been
> because I'm running through a natd gateway, which ICQ works through, but
> not too well).

You should be aware of the security-risk due to ICQ (icqsniff, icqhijack,
icqspoof, ...). In icq most packets are sent with the password, that is
NOT encrypted (!!!). Mirabilis knows about this problems, but did nothing
about them since 3 minor version-jumps, this means they piss on your (and my)
security-concerns.
Have a look at rootshell.com

Malte

E-Mail: malte@webmore.com