Date:      Tue, 09 Mar 1999 22:17:31 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Peter da Silva <peter@baileynm.com>
Cc:        brian@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: misc/8388

> > The suggested fix is commented as a ``disgusting hack'', and
> > IMHO is.  If people misconfigure their client, they get what they
> > deserve I'm afraid.
>
> Don't forget the golden rule: be conservative with what you send and
> liberal with what you accept.
>
> In a Microsoft Monopoly World having FreeBSD boxes happily accept
> broken Windows login names helps make FreeBSD look good.

Maybe, but I'd tend to err on the side of caution where
authentication is involved.  If they don't get it exactly right, they
lose - otherwise everyone has to start imagining ``risky scenarios''.

I agree with the above golden rule in other cases though.
--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org> <brian@FreeBSD.org> <brian@OpenBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;