Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2000 17:03:52 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        bandix@looksharp.net (Brandon D. Valentine)
Cc:        lplist@q.closedsrc.org (Linh Pham), sos@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel i815 w/ ICH using ata driver

It seems Brandon D. Valentine wrote:
> Yes, thank you for bringing that up.  There is only about a $20 price
> difference between boards using i815 and i815e w/ ICH and ICH2
> respectively.  The video is not a concern for me, I'm really just
> looking for a good replacement board for cheap PC servers since the BX
> boards are getting harder to find.  The i815 boards look good because
> they have, for the most part, plenty of PCI slots and appear far more
> stable than the i820.  I was going to choose the i815 over the i815e
> simply because the ICH is already supported and I can't antipicate how
> far off ICH2 support is under Soren's ata driver, nor is it that
> important to me.

Support for the ICH2 should be pretty trivial, as soon as I get my hands
on either a board, or a willing/capable tester it should be easy to
get into shape.

> The only new feature the ICH2 appears to have is
> ATA100 and I have yet to see a pair of drives on one ide channel which
> can approach the capacity of ATA66, let alone ATA100.  Other than that

Well the new IBM DTLA drives does 37MB/s so things are getting narrow,
but if you want top performance you only want one drive on each
channel, and in that case it doesn't matter much...

-Søren