Date:      Sat, 13 Jan 2001 08:51:50 -0800
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@mostgraveconcern.com>
To:        "Danny Yoo" <danny@vkpc.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: auto-updating and firewall

>1) I'm relatively new to FreeBSD and I was wondering if there was anything
>similar to apt-update for Debian. I understand that there is CVSup but that
>just seems to update the makefiles for the ports collection. As a new O/S
>me, there are parts that I don't even know about that may or may not need
>updating, but seeing as how I don't know they exist they would never be
>maintained.

That's why you do a cvsup and 'make world' now and again...

See the FreeBSD Handbook articles on Synchronizing Your Source
(http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/synching.html) and Using Make World
(http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/makeworld.html) and my cheat sheets under
Staying Stable at http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/

For keeping ported applications up to date, check out 'man pkgversion'.

>2) I keep getting:
>
>arp: 192.168.0.1 is on lo0 but got reply from 00:50:ba:47:d0:ba on ed0
>
>messages in my nightly security logs. My network is properly configured and
>I have a well-built, tested firewall. Can I disable arp?

What you are seeing is some other customer of your ISP (you have DSL or
Cable, right?) using the same internal address range that you are, only
*their* system isn't set up right and their internal addresses are leaking
out to your ISP's router.

I had this happen while I was using 10.0.0.x addresses. Once I picked
something obscure, like 10.23.157.x, I stopped getting those annoying arp
messages.

I'd suggest you change your internal network to something a little less
likely to be duplicated by someone else.

>3) Where can I find info to upgrade from 4.1 to 4.2?

You can do it via source. See my answer to question 1.

But most important--have fun!

--Dan

--
Dan O'Connor