Date:      Thu, 8 Nov 2001 20:35:47 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
To:        "m p" <sumirati@yahoo.de>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Multi-processor Support

m p writes:

> What is your experience with FreeBSD?
> Beginner? Ok.

All kernels are the same in this respect.  That's why they are called kernels.
Mess up the kernel, and the system won't run, by definition.

> Have you recompiled your kernel yet?

Yes, I recompiled it this afternoon in order to disable Ctrl-Alt-Del.

> Do you know _why_ most of the FreeBSD people
> use customized kernels?

Because much of what they want to do apparently cannot be enabled by simple
configuration switches at run-time (such as the change I desired above).

> Why do you speak up about a topic in an OS you
> don't know much about?

I know quite a bit about operating systems.

> _Where_ is the problem?

You know it when you see it, usually when you have to jump out of bed and rush
down to the computer center at 3 AM.  Been there, done that, no desire to do it
again.

> This is considered a normal and not risky task
> with FreeBSD.

If it is just changing a configuration option, the risk probably isn't too
great.  But sometimes you don't really know until the system crashes.  And,
sorry, but FreeBSD is not magically immune to this; no operating system is.