Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2002 21:22:48 -0500
From:      "David A. Koran" <dak@SOLO.NET>
To:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>, "David A. Koran" <dak@solo.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ifconfig aliases

At 12:00 AM +0000 2/28/02, David Malone wrote:
>On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 03:51:04PM -0500, David A. Koran wrote:
>>  Did somebody make a change to the syntax of how the ifconfig aliases
>>  (eg. "ifconfig_fxp0_alias1="inet some.ip.addr.ess netmask
>>  some.net.mask.num") work?
>
>As far as I knew, if an IP alias is in the same network as a previous
>IP address which the machine has then the netmask must be given as
>255.255.255.255. This is to prevent the creation of a duplicate
>route to the network. This has always been the advice given on the
>mailing lists, I think.
>
>Can you point me to some docs which say otherwise? If so they
>probably need to be updated.
>
>	David.

Well, I've been using my original settings (the first example in the
original message) for years (3-4) on high traffic servers without an
issue until today. Maybe somebody did a code audit and decided to
enforce some of the "generally accepted" techniques. I did note that
since the 4.5 Release, there were some changes MFC'ed, notably some
in rc.network (where the rc.conf file is read for the ifconfig
settings). I'm mainly trying to see if this is a "bug" or a
"feature". The second example was the fix I did and it works, but
obviously since release, there have been a number of changes in
regards to this issue.

I'll try to dig up some docs showing the other way, but I think even
the original copies of "The Complete FreeBSD" had aliasing setup per
my original example. (I think even the O'Reilly  TCP/IP Network Admin
book is listed as such).

David

--
   David A. Koran