Date:      Sat, 13 Jan 2001 18:04:02 +0100
From:      Edwin Groothuis <mavetju@chello.nl>
To:        lanehol@bellsouth.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DNS lookup

On Sat, Jan 13, 2001 at 09:19:07AM -0600, lanehol@bellsouth.net wrote:
> Before I setup the local DNS server the Mac could retrieve a web address
> such as www.freebsd.org or www.yahoo.com just by typing in freebsd or yahoo,
> respectively.  Now the Mac must type the full address.  The windows box
> seems to be unaffected (since he was always typing the full address anyway)
>
> How do I regain that functionality for the MAC?

It's a client-application functionality, it has nothing to do with
whatever you're using as the DNS server. If, on the Mac, you remove
the address of the freebsd machine and put the original back, does
this behaviour return?

Edwin

--
Edwin Groothuis   |           Interested in MUDs? Visit Fatal Dimensions:
mavetju@chello.nl |                     http://fataldimensions.nl.eu.org/