Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 2014 11:16:13 -0400
From:      Paul Kraus <paul@kraus-haus.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SWAP / ZFS / SSD question

Hi all,
	I=92ve got a box running Freebsd 9.1 with VirtualBox and have =
run into a couple odd hangs. The system is a SuperMicro with two =
quad-core Xeon, 32GB RAM, and 3 1TB SAS drives mirrored via an internal =
LSI 2208 controller (the drives are in JBOD mode) via ZFS.  The system =
is all ZFS with a 32GB zvol for swap.

	I am occasionally running into the dreaded "kernel: swap_pager: =
indefinite wait buffer: bufobj: 0=94 issue. In the past it was always =
when I was either adding a VM or changing a VM=92s configuration. I =
assumed low RAM. But it hit last night (at 03:00 this morning in fact) =
and nothing was changing at that time. There was about 770MB RAM free =
and the ZFS ARC was using about 4GB, so the system was not really under =
heavy memory pressure at the time.

	In order to reduce the impact, until we put a more permanent fix =
in place, I have set sync=3Ddisable for the zvol =85 I figure that if =
the system crashes and I lose a swap write I really don=92t care (I am =
assuming here that swapd commits it=92s writes as sync).

	Our long term plan is a change in overall architecture that will =
separate storage and compute services and have multiple compute nodes. =
We started with one box assuming we would grown to more than one as the =
business need arose. So our mid-term plan is to install a dedicated swap =
device. The question is whether swapd (under 9.1) will be happy with an =
SSD or whether there are unintended consequences to that route. Small =
SSDs are cheap enough these days, we really don=92t need more than 32GB =
(64GB if we are feeling extravagant).

	I know about the major performance differences between SSD =
vendors and models (I heard all about that on the various ZFS lists I =
subscribe to), so we will have to choose an SSD carefully.

--
Paul Kraus
paul@kraus-haus.org