Date:      Fri, 18 Oct 2002 18:46:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
To:        Matthias Trevarthan <trevarthan@wingnet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD C/C++ Development Environment (updated)

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, John Bleichert wrote:

> Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 18:36:59 -0400 (EDT)
> From: John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
> To: Matthias Trevarthan <trevarthan@wingnet.net>
> On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, Matthias Trevarthan wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 16:30:41 -0400
> > From: Matthias Trevarthan <trevarthan@wingnet.net>
> >
> > Howdy.
> >
> > I'm a Windows C/C++ DirectX developer turned FreeBSD systems administrator.
> >
> > What is the standard development environment on FreeBSD systems for C/C++?
> >
> > Does everyone really just use a Makefile, and editor like VIM, and a
> > command-line compiler? Or is that just the distributed format, and everyone
> > uses something else to actually write/debug their code?
> >
> > You'll have to forgive my ignorance. I've been using Microsoft Visual Studio
> > for the last 6 years.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Matthias
> >

> If you like a full IDE like Visual Studio, check out KDevelop. A slimmer
> but function-rich C/C++ editor is Code Crusader. I prefer Nedit. And yes,
> Make and makefiles are the way to go. There are many front-ends to the
> command line compilers (KDevelop and Code Crusader both provide compile
> buttons) but they all use the command line stuff behind the scenes.
>
> All those editors and many more are in the ports collection. I used VS for
> a few years, I used Code Crusader for quite a while when I switched to
> *nix, and I now prefer Nedit as it's useful for many, many languages. vi
> and emacs are fine too, but I prefer a graphical editor. I use vi
> constantly on remote boxes.

Also, there's Visual Slickedit. It's not even nearly free, but many
people use it at work in Windows, Linux and AIX and it's an excellent,
full-blown IDE.

http://www.slickedit.com/

I still prefer Nedit, but I would have been remiss in my duties if I
didn't point this one out :) Runs on lots of platforms.

JB

#  John Bleichert
#  http://vonbek.dhs.org/latest.jpg