Date:      Sat, 26 Feb 2000 21:01:21 -0700
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Rahul Dhesi <dhesi@rahul.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: disk repair on SunOS

On Sat, Feb 26, 2000 at 15:50:03 -0800, Rahul Dhesi wrote:
> A disk on one of my machines that run SunOS was showing a frequent
> error:
>
>     Feb 24 15:04:26 samba vmunix: sd16f:  Error for command 'read(10)'
>     Feb 24 15:04:26 samba vmunix: sd16f:  Error Level: Retryable
>     Feb 24 15:04:26 samba vmunix: sd16f:  Block 2032880, Absolute Block: 6717879
>     Feb 24 15:04:26 samba vmunix: sd16f:  Sense Key: Media Error
>     Feb 24 15:04:26 samba vmunix: sd16f:  Vendor 'SEAGATE' error code: 0x11
>
> I put the machine into single-user mode, unmounted the filesystem on
> that disk, invoked the format command, selected that disk, gave the
> 'repair' command, and when asked for the block number, I typed 6717879.
> It said the block had been repaired.  I exited the format utility and
> went back into multiuser mode.
>
> My questions for the FreeBSD experts:
>
> - How does SunOS do it?

It is likely that they remapped the block.  I don't know whether they
actually recovered the data that was in the block.  I think it's unlikely,
since that's a medium error of some sort.  Unfortunately the above reports
the sense key and additional sense code, but not the additional sense code
qualifier.

> - Could FreeBSD do it too?

Yes.  There's no really easy way to remap blocks at the moment, but you
can do it with camcontrol.

First, make sure that read and write reallocation are turned on in mode
page 1.  Then you can issue a write(6) or write(10) command using
'camcontrol cmd' with null data.  The drive will remap the block for you.

To find out the format of SCSI write commands, see the SCSI drafts at
www.t10.org.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry