Date:      Thu, 8 Nov 2001 19:43:35 +0000
From:      setantae <setantae@submonkey.net>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@atkielski.com>
Cc:        m p <sumirati@yahoo.de>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Multi-processor Support

On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 08:35:47PM +0100, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> m p writes:
>
> > What is your experience with FreeBSD?
> > Beginner? Ok.
>
> All kernels are the same in this respect.  That's why they are called kernels.
> Mess up the kernel, and the system won't run, by definition.

But it is safe to say that you are a beginner with FreeBSD, no ?

> > Have you recompiled your kernel yet?
>
> Yes, I recompiled it this afternoon in order to disable Ctrl-Alt-Del.

Were you scared ?
Recompiling the kernel is really nothing to be worried about.
I honestly don't see it a bigger problem than installing a port.

> > Do you know _why_ most of the FreeBSD people
> > use customized kernels?
>
> Because much of what they want to do apparently cannot be enabled by simple
> configuration switches at run-time (such as the change I desired above).

Like installing hardware ?

If there's a way to disable ctrl-alt-delete with recompiling the kernel,
then you'd probably find that there was a way to turn it back on...

> > Why do you speak up about a topic in an OS you
> > don't know much about?
>
> I know quite a bit about operating systems.

But you don't know all that much about FreeBSD, which was the question.

> > _Where_ is the problem?
>
> You know it when you see it, usually when you have to jump out of bed and rush
> down to the computer center at 3 AM.  Been there, done that, no desire to do it
> again.

If you recompile kernels from your bed then yes, you are probably asking
for trouble.

> > This is considered a normal and not risky task
> > with FreeBSD.
>
> If it is just changing a configuration option, the risk probably isn't too
> great.  But sometimes you don't really know until the system crashes.  And,
> sorry, but FreeBSD is not magically immune to this; no operating system is.

...and recompiling your kernel doesn't make it any less immune.

Ceri

--
keep a mild groove on