Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2002 15:53:41 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1014760421.9470ff@mired.org>
To:        Chip Wiegand <chip@wiegand.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: correct permissions for download only ftp

Chip Wiegand <chip@wiegand.org> types:
> I want to set up a download only ftp site for my son's friends to
> download his mp3's, midi's etc. I am trying to get the permissions
> correct for the pub directory. I can make it so no one can upload or
> download, or make it so no one can download, but haven't got it so no
> one can upload. Yet I want it so my son can copy files from his computer
> into the pub directory. Just what chmod format would I use for this?

It needs to be mode 755, and owned by the login id your son is using
to log onto the FTP server. His friends will have to use a different
id, or an anonymous logon.

If you're running a firewall, you'll find that FTP is a PITA to deal
with. sftp doesn't have those problems. There's a nice free windows
sftp client at <URL: http://winscp.vse.cz/eng/ >.

	<mike