Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 2002 03:04:39 -0400
From:      Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines@halplant.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: safest pop3 daemon

Paulo,

> I know there might be a lot of controversy (maybe a religous war??) :)
> about this topic, but I would like to know your opinions about which
> pop3 server seems to be the more secure one.

You should probably do some research into the background of the POP3
servers in the FreeBSD ports collection, bearing in mind that the more
popular ones have a higher exposure.

As far as general principles go, complexity is the enemy of security. The
popa3d[1] server is a small clean POP3 server from Solar Designer.

> I am currently using the (default?) popd from 4.6, is it good?

This doesn't say anything about which POP3 software you're using. There is
no "default" and the name popd is generic. Try

# pkginfo -W `which popd`

FYI, popa3d is in the OpenBSD base distribution.

[1] /usr/ports/mail/popa3d (See also http://www.openwall.com/popa3d/DESIGN)

-Andrew-