Date:      Fri, 03 Nov 2000 21:31:36 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Randell Jesup <rjesup@wgate.com>
Cc:        Marius Bendiksen <mbendiks@eunet.no>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Like to commit my diskprep

In message <ybulmv1802x.fsf@jesup.eng.tvol.net.jesup.eng.tvol.net>,
Randell Jes
up writes:
> >> Yes, patches would be nice. :)
> >
> >Patches cannot be formed until a general consensus exists on how the
> >patches should do things if and when an enterprising soul made them.
> >Otherwise, they stand a good chance at being rejected based on some,
> >possibly relevant, objection to how they work.
> >
> >Also, such patches are likely best formed by the same people that are
> >currently suggesting doing a variety of other things for disklabel and
> >friends.
>
>         I'm willing to help on this, though my time may be limited.  I have
> _extensive_ FS experience from my Amiga days, and also was the primary
> disk-driver person and SCSI expert, and also did "archive" filesystems for
> Scala.  I've never hacked the internals of ufs, however, but I do know the
> issues.

Would this become a new filesystem, e.g. extfs v.s. ext2fs -- ufs v.s.
ufs2?  If not, would there be some kind of conversion procedure or
would existing filesystem have to be backed up, reinitialised and
restored?  Or instead, would the filesystem convert to the new format
on the fly?

In other words how would this affect our "customers"?

Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC