Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 10:38:12 -0400
From:      "David S. Jackson" <dsj@sylvester.dsj.net>
To:        Ronnie Clark <Ronj_clark@fellowshipchurch.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDE CD-R question

On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 01:53:08PM -0400 Ronnie Clark  <Ronj_clark@fellowshipchurch.com> wrote:
> I have an IDE CD-R drive. I loaded "xcdroast" to try to burn my
> first cd-rom, but it said that it could not find any CD-R
> devices.  It says I need SCSI Emulation in my kernel. So I rebuilt
> my kernel twice to try and acheive this. So not I'm frustrated,
> and it still does not work. Can anyone help?

For some reason, FreeBSD doesn't emulate SCSI over an ATAPI bus,
so we don't have any SCSI pseudo devices like Linux and other
BSDs do.  Therefore, you can't use xcdroast and other frontends
to cdrecord (an excellent piece of software, by the way) with an
ATAPI CDR/W on FreeBSD.  You can with Linux or, I think,
Open/NetBSD.  But not with FreeBSD yet.

For now, you will have to use burncd.  It's progressing nicely,
and I haven't had a single problem using it with my TDK VeloCD
16-10-40x.  The main complaint is that you cannot do a
disk-at-once type of scenario.  And you don't have all the spiffy
front-ends like you do for cdrecord.

Either that or you have to put your ATAPI burner on another box
and use a SCSI burner on your FBSD box.

Oh well.  Life goes on.

HTH.

--