Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 2014 17:12:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        Lionel Cons <lionelcons1972@gmail.com>
Cc:        Freebsd hackers list <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, Simon Toedt <simon.toedt@gmail.com>, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@ixsystems.com>, Richard Yao <ryao@gentoo.org>, Jan Bramkamp <crest@rlwinm.de>
Subject:   Re: Tool to access ZFS/NFSv4 alternate data streams on FreeBSD?

Lionel Cons wrote:
> On 9 September 2014 23:29, Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca> wrote:
> > Simon Toedt wrote:
> >> On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 1:47 PM, Rick Macklem
> >> <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>

> >> Solaris tools already have support for this. Also AT&T AST from
> >> David
> >> Korn have support for O_XATTR, too.
> >>
> > Hopefully others will correct me if I have this incorrect, but I
> > thought
> > CDDL code could only be used for optional components of FreeBSD?
> > I suspect tar and friends are considered core components and that
> > code
> > for this would have to be written by someone (ie. couldn't use CDDL
> > code?).
> > (I'm assuming that these tools are in OpenSolaris.)
>=20
> I don't think you FreeBSD should *copy* the code. But it can be used
> for reference how the extended tar headers for filesystem forks
> should
> look like. That's all.
>=20
> >
> > Be aware that most of FreeBSD's development is done by volunteers
> > in their
> > spare time, so I have no idea if someone is interested in doing
> > this.
>=20
> If anyone can get the kernel parts I think we can sponsor someone to
> do the userland work.
>=20
Hmm, well others that are more familiar with the traditions of the
FreeBSD will need to comment. I have never figured out how the "collective"
makes technical direction decisions.

I think that you might want to email on freebsd-arch@ proposing that suppor=
for openat()/resource forks be added to FreeBSD. Then, based on what respon=
ses
occur to this "big picture" proposal, whether or not to do it may become
apparent?

If the collective thinks it is appropriate, I can probably find time to do
the kernel bits for NFSv4/ZFS. (I have no interest in trying to add support
to UFS or doing the userland bits.)

rick