Date:      Sun, 6 Jan 2002 15:58:17 +1300
From:      rshea@opendoor.co.nz
To:        "Doug Reynolds" <mav@wastegate.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, mav@wastegate.net, raiden23@netzero.net
Subject:   Re: Interesting user question

> silly yes..  I don't think windows has any kinda of scheduling like
> that.  you could just make a cron event that runs shutdown -h now at 5
> o'clock.  or, you could have a shutdown command issued,  because you
> can specify the shutdown time...  look at the man shutdown.  other than
> that, i'd say he is out of luck.

Just a small improvement - how about getting a cron to ping the W98SE anytime
after 5pm every 15 mins. If it doesn't hear back it in two succesive
invocations then it presumes the W98SE owner has turned off for the night and
so issues the shutdown commands to the FBSD box.

Personally I wouldn't go near this stuff but ...

regards
richard shea.

Open Door Ltd
PO Box 119-46