Date:      Fri, 01 Feb 2002 00:13:58 -0600
From:      Bob <BobGiesen@earthlink.net>
To:        Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: heinous X and this blasted laptop

   This is the third time I'm trying to send this... (problems of my
own :-) )  Hope it gets through in time to be of some use...

   For reference, here's a bit of your startx output:

XF86Config: /root/XF86Config
(**) stands for supplied, (--) stands for probed/default values
(**) XKB: rules: "xfree86"
(**) XKB: model: "pc101"
(**) XKB: layout: "us"
(**) Mouse: type: SysMouse, device: /dev/mouse, resolution: 100
(**) Mouse: buttons: 3, 3 button emulation (timeout: 50ms)
(**) SVGA: Graphics device ID: "Primary Card"
(**) SVGA: Monitor ID: "Primary Monitor"
(**) FontPath set to
"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/local,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
(--) SVGA: PCI: ATI Rage 128 Mobility LF rev 2, Memory @ 0xf8000000,
MMIO @ 0xfdffc000, I/O @ 0xec00
(--) SVGA: chipset:  generic
(--) SVGA: videoram: 64k
(--) SVGA: clocks:  25.18

(**) SVGA: 16bpp not supported for this chipset

 *** A configured device found, but display modes could not be
resolved.***

   The first thing I noticed was the "16bpp not supported..."  Just
for a quick-and-dirty-fix _attempt_, you might want to lower the
DefaultDepth in the "Screen" section of your XF86Config file.
   But........ then I noticed that you have a Rage 128 chip.  (I have
one, too.)  That chip will handle much more color depth; it's the SVGA
driver that won't do it.  I'm sorry that I can't remember the details
(though a few hours of searching Google will help you, there...), but
I finally learned that I wasn't ever goin to get the performance tha
chip offers, using XF86 v3.3.6.  I d/l'd version 4 and it worked like
a dream.  It comes wih a new "ati" driver whch was installed
automagically.  Only real drawback that I remember (and my memory is
failing in my middle age... :-) ) was that the default ordre of screen
resolutions was from low-to-high -- so the scren that came up when I
started X was 640x480.  So, I
just reversed the orders of the "Modes" lines in the "Display"
subsections -- problem solved.  Oh, yes, that reminds me of another
potential problem I saw.  Even though the driver detected my monitor
correctly (the model number in the config file was right, anyway...),
the probes turned up some high-res modes that would have overclocked
my display, according to my manual.  Watch for that, unless you're
experimenting with turning laptops into high-end toasters. ;-)
   Hope this helps.
- Bob