Date:      Mon, 2 Oct 2000 15:21:46 -0400
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        Alexander Frolkin <alexander@frolkin.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        Ken Bolingbroke <freebsd@bolingbroke.com>, cjclark@alum.mit.edu, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: No UPDATING for RELENG_3?

On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 08:13:56PM +0100, Alexander Frolkin wrote:
> > Pentium-133.  Doing a buildworld for 2.2.8 took 11 hours. :-)
>
> That's nothing - it took me 3 _days_ to buildworld for 3.4 on a Pentium 75
> with 8MB RAM over a network...

Gee, you have it soft!

My home firewall is a 25-mhz 486, 8 meg RAM.  It takes well over a
week, and that's with NO_DARNNEAREVERYTHING* in /etc/make.conf to cut
out sendmail, named, etc.

==ml

*You know, this was meant as a joke, but it might be a good idea.  A
single flag to say, "Don't build optional system parts."

Then we'd have accusations of bloat, however, and far more bandwidth
would be wasted discussing the merits of the idea than would be caused
by implementing it.  Never mind, forget I said anything at all.

--
Michael Lucas
mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org