Date:      Thu, 24 Feb 2005 22:53:01 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Roland Smith" <rsmith@xs4all.nl>, "Gerry Freymann" <lists@interpool.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Lexmark X1100 printer

The problem is that the cheap color inkjets on the market are all
winprinters
these days.  So you have to go there if you want to print color.

HP has written a UNIX driver for their winprinters, it's not a
reverse-engineered
job by someone with a packet analyzer.  Epson has also obviously provided
aid and assistance to whomever wrote the driver for their printers as
well.
A few other printer companies seem to have done this also.  But a lot of
the imaging companies out there, like lexmark, haven't, and many of the
reverse-engineered drivers for those printers only print in some of the
lowest resolutions.

I have an Epson C84 myself, georgeous color output.  But it literally
takes
2 minutes for an AMD K6 200Mhz running FreeBSD to convert a page of
Postscript to
a page of Epson-speak.  Fortunately I don't print color that often.  My
wife
uses it more than I do, but she is printing via USB from a 1.4Ghz Windows
system
and her system only takes about 15 seconds to image a page.  Most of my
printing is to my HP 4+ Postscript laster printer that duplexes.

I picked my Epson because it has individual ink resivours for each color.
So
unlike the HP your not stuck throwing out a perfectly good cartridge just
because ONE color ran out.  I think actually HP is also moving that
direction
as well.

Ted