Date:      Mon, 18 Mar 2002 09:14:52 +0200
From:      "Patrick O'Reilly" <bsd@perimeter.co.za>
To:        "Brendan McAlpine" <bmcalpine@macconnect.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: HELP!!  problem with new bsd mail server [solved kind of]

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brendan McAlpine" <bmcalpine@macconnect.com>

> Hmmm
>
> The generic kernel is set for 32 maxusers, which should give me 532
> simultaneous processes.  Qmail is only set for 100 concurrent
connections at
> its max......so would increasing the maxusers really help?

Brendan,

I'm not going to pretend to be authoritative on this subect, but here's
what my gut tells me:

The kernel maxuers setting is used as a scaling factor on various
default settings in the kernel environment.  One of these, as you noted,
indicates that you should be able to have 532 concurrent processes (I'm
assuming you did the math :).  But there may be other limits you hit
before then.  For example, what about the numbers of simultaneous open
file handles, or descriptors, or whatever the correct terminology is?

My gut feel is that each qmail process is somewhat like a user (albeit a
lightweight user), and requires a set of resources, somewhat like a
user.  If you have 'maxusers=32', and you have 100 simultaneous qmail
processes running, my immediate reaction is that you are running more
than I would have guessed your could system support 'out the box'.

In an environment like yours where you have a reasonably heavy workload
in a specific area I think you must accept that you will need to do some
tuning of the system.

> Is there a way to change this without re-compiling the kernel?

No, not that I know of.  'sysctl kern.maxusers' will tell you what the
current value is, but it is a read-only attribute, so you can't fiddle
it via sysctl.

Anyway, in my experience, rebuilding a kernel is not a particularly
stressful exercise.  It is certainly less stressful than living with a
box that goes to sleep every day!!!

> What about ICMP_BANDLIM?  I've heard that sometimes that kernel option
> causes networking problems.  Has anyone heard about that?

I have no idea whether this has any impact on your situation :(

Again - I'm not sure that nudging maxusers will definitely solve your
problem, but given the info you've told us I would say it is definitely
worth a try.

Regards,
Patrick O'Reilly.
---