Date:      Wed, 30 Nov 2011 16:53:42 +0800
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        Bernhard Schmidt <bschmidt@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org, Ninad Adi <adi.ninad@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Why does iwn driver in FreeBSD is coded in just one file.

On 30 November 2011 16:36, Bernhard Schmidt <bschmidt@freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 20:52, Ninad Adi <adi.ninad@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hereby, I officially =A0propose the splitting up of iwn driver code as
>> it is growing and will continue growing as
>> rate scaling improvements plus the P2P mode support would come into pict=
ure.

> iwn(4) is imported (mostly, sans 11n support) unmodified from OpenBSD,
> up till now there isn't a single valid reason to split up any of the
> code. Heck, I've done my best to keep the code diff(1)able against the
> original code.

That sounds logical. Unless we can convince the openbsd iwn maintainer
to split the driver up.. ?

> If *you* gonna provide additional features to iwn(4) I might
> reconsider that decision, but I want to see some code first. Btw, any
> ratectl related stuff should go to net80211(4) not to the drivers,
> same for P2P, we have not a single line of code to support that
> currently.

If you're going to hack on p2p support, can I suggest we prototype it
using the ath(4) code?
Since I'm the one looking after that, I'm happy to continue splitting
the driver up (which i will be doing in a couple weeks) and it'll
likely be easier to add/test p2p support there.

thanks,

Adrian