Date:      Fri, 18 Oct 2002 16:45:44 -0700
From:      Mike Hogsett <hogsett@csl.sri.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mike Hogsett: Re: need software MAC address

--Multipart_Fri_Oct_18_16:45:43_2002-1

Ooops forgot the list...

--Multipart_Fri_Oct_18_16:45:43_2002-1

To: "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
Subject: Re: need software MAC address
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 16:45:19 -0700
From: Mike Hogsett <hogsett@axp.csl.sri.com>

Instead of replacing the NIC can't he just use the "link" address family
option in ifconfig to assign a different MAC address so that it appears to
be a different machine?

flagg# ifconfig fxp1
fxp1: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        ether 00:30:48:11:be:23
        media: Ethernet autoselect (none)
        status: no carrier
flagg# ifconfig fxp1 ether aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
flagg# ifconfig fxp1
fxp1: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        ether aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
        media: Ethernet autoselect (none)
        status: no carrier

 - Mike