Date:      Mon, 16 Aug 1999 11:58:24 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Eric Hodel <hodeleri@seattleu.edu>
Cc:        "Cruz, Lito [IBM GSA]" <LCruz@vcomcss1.telstra.com.au>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing freeBSD3.2

On Sun, Aug 15, 1999 at 06:04:42PM -0700, Eric Hodel wrote:

> This is described in TROUBLE.TXT on the root of your HDD.

Thanks for the pointer, though I think you meant to say the root of the
installation CD or FTP site for that release.

> It also is reported in the mailing list archives.  Always RTFM.

It's hard to know how to do that when you're so new, you just can't
figure out where to go for answers. If they send a first installation
support question to free-newbies (instead of freebsd-questions) you can
be pretty sure they haven't yet worked out where all the support
resources are. Most of us would rather save face by looking something
up ourselves, if we knew how.

When someone like that has a problem, tell them that they can discover
the best ways to find quick answers themselves in the Newbies First Aid Kit
http://www.welearn.com.au/freebsd/newbies

Then they can look at http://www.freebsd.org/projects/newbies.html
for links to more self-help information as they go along.

While reading these they will discover how to use the FAQ, Handbook,
the *.TXT files, freebsd-questions, the mailing list archives, and all
the good stuff we take for granted.

Lito, please come back and tell us if you have any problems with the
above resources. If they're not easy to use, we want to know about it.

Another little tip: If you're writing to a FreeBSD mailing list such as
freebsd-questions from work, see if you can get rid of any
"attachments" to your email. Some people get really annoyed by them
when they appear in mailing lists.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-