Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 2000 20:34:07 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        nate@yogotech.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kblob discussion.

> > Actually, I think I'm looking at a *bigger* picture - what can we do to
> > make FreeBSD a better platform for real-world applications?
>
> For a very common application, yes.  WWW serving is not FreeBSD's strong
> point, IMO.

In more or less complete defiance of this, a lot of people use it for
just this very application, and will probably continue to do so.

> As a matter of fact, I'd venture to guess that FreeBSD is used in more
> embedded systems as a 'network' platform than it's ever used as a WWW
> server.

That doesn't change the fact that it is, despite your perhaps hard-held
beliefs otherwise, used very extensively for web service, and
particularly for bulk static content delivery.

> However, it just so happens that recently it seems that Yahoo has been
> pushing *HARD* for alot of WWW-server specific changes, that have little
> usefulness outside of that specific application.

They have?  Would you care to name one?

> > The ability to send static content in the most efficient manner possible
> > is a key "big picture" item.  You're so tied up in what would be the most
> > wonderful engineering solution that you're completely ignoring this.
>
> You're so wrapped up with building WWW server that you've completely
> ignored the rest of the developer community, who actually have needs for
> something *more generic* that you're incapable of seeing the forest
> since you've gotta cut down that one tree fast, and who gives a rip what
> anyone else needs to do in the forest...

Hyperbole.