Date:      Sat, 15 Jun 2002 01:07:40 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        djf2 <djf2@danu.ili.net>
Subject:   Serial console issues

> Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 15:54:43 -0400 (EDT)
> From: djf2 <djf2@danu.ili.net>
>
>      I've been running into several problems with trying to get a serial
> console working at faster than 9600 bps.  I followed the instructions
> from the handbook as closely as possible, but wasn't able to find any info
> on how to recompile the bootblocks.  So, I googled a few pages that had
> some info.  Unfortunately, I've found two different ways to recompile the
> boot blocks.  Here's what I've done :
>
> make.conf containes 'BOOT_COMCONSOLE_SPEED=115200'
> /boot.config contains '-P'
> /etc/ttys ttyd0 is set to 'std.115200'
>
>      Now, according to one page I found, I need to :
>
>  cd /sys/boot/i386/boot2
>  make clean && make all install
>
>      This errors out looking for some object files, which were easy enough
> to track down and install and eventaully it compiles and installs.  After
> the 'disklabel -B ad0', I reboot and get nothing on the serial console
> until I turn my speed down to 9600 and then everything functions
> perfectly.  I found one other page that says I need to do the following :
>
>  cd /usr/src/sys/i386/boot/biosboot && make clean && make all install
>
>      After I disklabel those blocks in (which are put into /usr/mdec), I
> get the following error as I try to boot :
>
> >> FreeBSD BOOT @ 0x10000: 638/65468 k of memory, serial/dual console
> Boot default: 0:wd(0,a)kernel
>
> boot
> Invalid format!
>

>      I'm stumped as to what I'm doing wrong.  It looks like the changes
> are noticed while the boot blocks are compiling and the console works fine
> at 9600, but that's kinda slow for this machine.  Anyone have any
> pointers?  Thanks in advance,
>

> - --
> "Is that sound you're hearing the trumpeting of St. Peter's angels
>  or the screams of Memnoch's tortured souls?"
> Don Flynn        djf2@ili.net                   Sayge@IRC

I'm going to guess that you may need to do is recompile your kernel
with the following option for sio[x]:

options		CONSPEED=115200

(see /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT)

Phil

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium