Date:      Thu, 10 Feb 2005 13:42:42 +0100
From:      Emanuel Strobl <emanuel.strobl@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        saravanan ganapathy <sarav_gsa@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: sendmail issue

--nextPart22161504.oaKLYoDDvP

Am Donnerstag, 10. Februar 2005 06:04 schrieb saravanan ganapathy:
> --- Emanuel Strobl <emanuel.strobl@gmx.net> wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch, 9. Februar 2005 16:15 schrieb saravanan
[...]
> > > which is in /etc/rc.d/sendmail
> >
> > Sendmail is part of the FreeBSD base system. I don't
> > know if the prot disables
> > the base sendmail, you can always add
> > 'sendmail_enable=3D"NONE"' to
> > your /etc/rc.conf.
> >
> > -Harry
>
> How to uninstall the sendmail which comes in the base
> system?

You're using a complete and standardized operating system, whose developers=
=20
decided to have MTA functionality, realised by sendmail.
You cannot uninstall it, nor do you have the choice to install it or not.
It's like with all the other commands, name it tar or cpio. It's part of th=
e=20
operating system but you're not forced to use it.
And since ports are standardized to be installed in /usr/local no program w=
ill=20
interfere with the base system's version.

You can go the source part and comnpile your world yourself, then you can=20
decide what parts to install into a new root, but then you have to do the=20
setup by hand, no installer. You can make your own OS based on FreeBSD=20
though.
See /usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf for details

> How to know what are all the packages are comes by
> default in the base system?

No packages are in the base system, it's the base system itself (like=20
explained before)
See the handbook for the operating systems features=20
(http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html, also=
=20
have a look for the handbook in your native language)

=2DHarry