Date:      Tue, 19 Nov 1996 20:20:09 +0200 (IST)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Clayton Carney <72271.3671@CompuServe.COM>
Cc:        Support <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Cannot mount root

On 19 Nov 1996, Clayton Carney wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I been struggling for two weeks to get FreeBSD up and running on my system.  I
> would appreciate some help, as the folks at Walnut Creek have told me they have
> no idea what is wrong here.
>
> I went thru the novice install, choosing defaults and automatic for all options.
> When the system tries to boot, it fails and the last two lines displayed are:
>
> changing root device to wd1a
> panic: cannot mount root
>
> First, let give some configuration background.  My system is setup as follows:
>
> - Zeos Pentium 75MHz with 48MB RAM
> - Seagate 815MB hard drive set as a master on IDE controller 1.
> - Mitsumi FX-004 IDE CDROM drive set as a slave on IDE controller 1.
> - Western Digital 1549MD hard drive set as single on IDE controller 2.
> - Diamond Stealth 64 video card.
> - Microsoft serial mouse.

 [snip]

> Please help...
>
> Thank you,
>
> Clayton Carney

I think the following at the boot prompt will do the trick:
1:wd(2,a)
I'm not sure of the syntax though. In any case (whether it works or not),
what you need for this to boot up automaticaly is rebuild the kernel,
changing the config line as follows:
config kernel root on wd2

If the above at the Boot: prompt (or some variations of it) won't get you
anywhere, simply swap the disks for just one boot, rebuild the kernel,
and connect the disks again at the normal position.

Nadav