Date:      Mon, 17 Nov 1997 08:26:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Clapper <bmc@WillsCreek.COM>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: username length

Studded <Studded@dal.net> wrote:

>       A while ago there was a discussion about moving the ability to
> work with more than 8 character usernames in the 2.2 branch.  I decided to
> give it a go on my test system, and it's working fine.  I thought I'd pass
> this info on in case anyone else is interested in trying it.

[ snip ]

>       So far everything seems pretty happy with the 16 character names.
> The ps has a problem with lining things up, and gnuls truncates the names
> to 8.  Anyone have a suggestion about gnuls?  I really like it, but not
> seeing the whole uid/gid is getting confusing. :)

I maintain the gnuls port.  The offending code would seem to be around line
2121 in "ls.c":

        if (numeric_users)
          sprintf (p, "%-8u ", (unsigned int) f->stat.st_uid);
        else
          sprintf (p, "%-8.8s ", getuser (f->stat.st_uid));

You might try doing a 'make extract' and 'make patch' on the gnuls port,
then modifying that section of code to look like this:

        if (numeric_users)
          sprintf (p, "%-*u ", MAXLOGNAME - 2, (unsigned int) f->stat.st_uid);
        else
          sprintf (p, "%-*.*s ", MAXLOGNAME - 2, MAXLOGNAME - 2,
                   getuser (f->stat.st_uid));

Then rebuild the port.  If it works, let me know, and I'll add it to the
list of patches in the port; better yet, just send me a `diff -c' on
"ls.c".  I'd try it here, but it wouldn't prove anything, since I'm using
stock 2.2.2-RELEASE on my systems.
-----
Brian Clapper, bmc@WillsCreek.COM, http://WWW.WillsCreek.COM/
An NT server can be run by an idiot, and usually is.
        - Tom Holub <doosh@best.com>
          (Posted to comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix on 03 Sep 1997)