Date:      Sun, 14 Oct 2001 16:28:56 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Postmater Default Mailbox <freebsd-lists@i-zone.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: named problem

On Sun, Oct 14, 2001 at 10:50:16PM +0100, Postmater Default Mailbox wrote:
> hi group
>
> Obviously I've broken something. Hopefully you can help me. For some
> reason I keep getting this error in /var/log/messages
>
> named[289]: denied update from [192.168.1.7].4757 for "1.168.192.in-
> addr.arpa" IN
>
> 192.168.1.7 is a win2k box which isn't running anything special. It is
                   ^^^^^
> just a workstation, its not running any servers.
>
> 192.168.1.2 is my freebsd router
>
> This started happening after I upgraded to 4.4-STABLE. I ran mergemaster
> and was careful to keep all the old info, but I guess (from the error
> message) that I didn't, either that or named is doing something in 4.4
> that it wasn't doing in 4.3
>
> can anyone here give me clues as to what file or what could be causing
> this?

Thank our friends in Redmond. Your Windows 2000 box is trying to do
DNS updates. It always has. The previous versions of BIND you had
simply did not report the failed attempt. You have not broken
anything. I would tell you how to get your Windows 2000 box to stop
doing that if I knew how. Try your M$ resources to find out how to fix
that machine. It is the problem.