Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2001 21:50:53 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1008733853.4c6181@mired.org>
To:        "Richard E. Hawkins" <dochawk@psu.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gv doesn't catch change from libpng.so.4 to .5

Richard E. Hawkins <dochawk@psu.edu> types:
> What a week :)
>
> Sound and ports are working, but now gv fails, claiming that it can't
> find libpng.so.4.  Sounds reasonable, as it seemas to have been
> replaced by .5.  Now how do I get this across to the program?
>
> I've remade and installed png, Xaw3d, and gv, but no dice.
>
> oh, and ghostview has the same problem.

They are dynamically loading a library that dynamically loads the old
version of libpng. That library isn't part of those ports, which is
why rebuilding them didn't solve the problem. You need to find the
library in question, and rebuild and reinstall the port that installed
it.

If you look at <URL:
http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=bin/30908 > you'll find
patches to the system to make ldd tell you which library is the
culprit.

	<mike