Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 18:36:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   dual-channel U2W scsi performance

I have several servers whose motherboards have on-board
dual-channel Ultra2 SCSI controllers such as:

ahc0: <Adaptec aic7896/97 Ultra2 SCSI adapter> rev 0x00 int a irq 0 on pci0.14.0
ahc1: <Adaptec aic7896/97 Ultra2 SCSI adapter> rev 0x00 int a irq 0 on pci0.14.1

I understand I should be able to hook older Ultra-Wide devices to each
channel.  Assuming I do this, and the theoretical max of each channel
is reduced to the Ultra-Wide 40MB/sec max, should I be able to come
close to getting 80MB/sec out of the adapter when saturating both
channels simultaneously? ( Assuming I have a memory system & PCI bus
that can handle it, enough drives/buses, using a striped
filesystem, etc... )

Essentially, I'm wondering if I need to purchase another 2940UW for
each server, or if the above on-board dual-channel controller will
really be able to run 2 Ultra-Wide busses close to flat out.

Thanks,

Drew