Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 08:52:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Linh Pham <lplist@closedsrc.org>
To:        <Joe.Warner@smed.com>
Cc:        <FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD not recognizing memory

On 2001-10-18, Joe.Warner@smed.com scribbled:

# I'm running FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE on a Compaq
# Proliant 2500 server.
#
# When I reboot the server, the BIOS says it's got
# 96mbs of RAM, which is correct.  When FreeBSD
# boots, it says it have only 16mbs of RAM, which is
# not correct.

I have a Compaq Proliant 2500 server where I work as well and it
exhibits the same problems. The problem is documented in the FAQ, the
Q&A can be found at:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/troubleshoot.html#REALLYBIGRAM

What you will need to do is to build a custom kernel with the following
line in the kernel configuration file:

options "MAXMEM=x"

where x is the amount of memory you have in kilobytes. In your case, you
would replace x with 98304.

From there, you can either continue to modify the kernel configuration
to trim it down and build/install the new kernel with:

/usr/sbin/config CONFIG_FILE
cd ../../compile/CONFIG_FILE
make depend
make
make install
reboot

(If you get an errors in the first step, check the CONFIG_FILE for any
errors).

--

Linh Pham
[lplist@closedsrc.org]