Date:      Tue, 20 Jan 2009 13:54:23 +1000
From:      Da Rock <rock_on_the_web@comcen.com.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: iwn driver on 7.1 [no vaps in RELENG_7]

On Mon, 2009-01-19 at 21:24 -0600, Brandon Gooch wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 8:48 PM, Da Rock <rock_on_the_web@comcen.com.au> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2009-01-19 at 20:38 -0500, Damian Gerow wrote:
> >> Sam Leffler wrote:
> >> : OTOH iwn is now out of date and someone needs to update it.  There's
> >> : newer firmware that is supposed to fix many of the bugs I hit when I
> >> : worked on the driver (and Intel refused to acknowledge) and obsd has
> >> : added support for newer parts that people want.  It'd be great if
> >> : someone wanted to take over this driver.
> >>
> >> I've been working on this driver for the past few weeks (Christmas provided
> >> a healthy distraction), but it's a steep learning curve for a novice C
> >> coder.  If anyone wants to work on this, let me know, as I have a small
> >> portion of the work already done.
> >>
> >>   - Damian
> >
> > I'm willing to work on it (doing so now), but from what you have said
> > here it sounds like you're in the same boat as myself as I'm very new to
> > this too :)
> >
> > What about collaboration between us with a Freebsd core team mentor? Is
> > this possible? Code, test, then send the new code through the core team
> > member for approval as well as hints to get the job done?

> I don't know how mentoring works in the FreeBSD world or if a
> canonical process of mentoring even exists, but I would definitely be
> willing to participate. I know it would be a heck of a lot better than
> hacking around on this stuff by myself.
>
>     -Brandon

Ok then, as you said- where do we start? From what I can see in the
running of the card currently is its having trouble scanning- but they
maybe a ruse, I'm trying to find a way to definitively determine what is
going on here.

Also, once the card has started scanning it locks up and appears to
'reset' or something, so that when I run wpa_supplicant the next time
round it works again- but still won't scan. I'll just run through what I
did yesterday again and post the results, but I believe those results
from yesterday are already there on the -questions@ list if you wish to
jump the gun.

I'm currently looking along the lines of what people are running atm- it
just clicked with me that my card is 4965AGN, but most reference this
card as BGN, so I'm wondering if thats making a difference.