Date:      Sat, 9 May 1998 13:37:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Mark Szlaga <mszlaga@umdsun2.umd.umich.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ethernet -> natd -> Dynamic-IP dialup

On Sat, 9 May 1998, Mark Szlaga wrote:

>    I recently changed the operating system on my internet firewall from
> Linux to FreeBSD.  This was done because I am tired of all the timeouts that
> IP-Masquerade causes, and was told that Natd is a far more superior program.
> That and FreeBSD networking runs much better as a router than Linux will
> ever pray to.  So far I am impressed in the performance of the machine,
> but cannot get networking to work properly.

Good to hear! :)

>    Ok.  Here's the problem.  I can get the non-firewall enabled kernel
> to dialout (what I am using now) and I can set up the routes by hand (I
> am trying to fix this problem) but this is the only way I can get the
> machine to dialout.  When I do the proper kernel settings to get
> firewalling to work (IP_DIVERT and IP_FIREWALL) I can only get the
> network to work internally, and cannot even touch the dialup device.
> That is, until I disable ed0, but then I cannot get the routes quite
> correct.

When you turn the firewall on, it by default blocks everything until you
program other rules into it.  I'd suggest setting your firewall_type to
`open' mode in /etc/rc.conf, and then tune /etc/rc.firewall to taste.
Type `open' allows everything.

Note that you have to add a rule to divert packets to natd.  That rule
should be on the natd manpage.

http://www.freebsd.org/docs.html should get you started.