Date:      Wed, 27 May 1998 08:33:23 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        julian@whistle.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: possible breakage (objformat.c) in -current

> This new file (why does it have to be compiled at install time?)
> fails to compile here because
> CFLAGS at install-time contains -nostdinc which means that
> it can't find any include files. Thus make installworld fails.

Nope not seen that, I'll check....

> I've looked to see if the -nostdinc is a local feature but it
> doesn't appear to be so.
>
> My quick workaround is to add CFLAGS=
> to the Makefile to get rif of incoming values.
>
> I see no reason why this couldn't be build at built at
> make time, as it only gets it's default behaviour from
> that, and you could just as easily check it in with the
> default behaviour you want as check the default behaviour
> into the Makefile.

Peter left in a way to do it via OBJFORMAT_PATH, but I couldn't
get it to work right. The problem is that you need one path
"/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp" build in when you do the buildworld, or
the buildowrld process cannot find ar, as, ld etc, then when
you go to the install fase, it needs the "real" path /usr/lib
build in instead, if you just install the buildworld verison then
it fails.

You could try to patch it back to its original to see if it works
for you that way, and add:

OBJFORMAT_PATH=${WORLDTMP}/usr/libexec

to COMPILER_ENV, thats the way Peter intended it to be, but for
unknown reasons it failed when I tried to update a pure just
fresh installed SNAP, whereas the method I hacked (yes its
ugly) worked on all my test platforms...

I'll try to get time and test this out today, and commit it
if I get it to work...