Date:      13 Dec 2001 21:24:07 -0800
From:      Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@artlogix.com>
To:        Drdoom9377@aol.com
Cc:        webmaster@php.net, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, apache@apache.org, security@mysql.com, mysql@lists.mysql.com
Subject:   Re: Very Important!!

| Hi, My Name is Eric Martin. I would like to tell you that you are supporting
| a web site that is trying to hack other servers. This web site consists of
| hackers. They openly admit to cheating and hacking servers. I don't know how
| you all would allow this to happen. I Believe that this group is taking
| advantage of you. There Web Address is WWW.BLTCLAN.COM. They must be
| stopped. They are ruining the web and gaming for everyone. So please stop
| them.

Ah, Eric.  You seem to be confused.

Is Microsoft responsible if a kidnapper writes a ransom note in Word?

Is Olympus or Canon responsible for a certain amount of kiddie-porn?

Is Boeing responsible for September 11?

None of the organizations you have written with this "very important" plea have
anything to do with bltclan.com, or any other hacking site.  The organizations
do write tools that can be coopted by anyone for any purpose.  Most of the
people using them use them for good purposes, but there are always bad people
out there willing to misuse anything.  But that's not the fault of the tool
developers, and writing any of them won't help.

If you really need to complain, you might first want to collect evidence of
misuse (which you didn't supply in your plea).  Then you might want to complain
to their ISP, which you could find by doing a simple "traceroute" on their
site, and forward the evidence.  But writing several creators of software isn't
the best way to go about this---indeed, it may be one of the least effective I
can think of.

(For the record, I don't represent any of these organizations; I'm just a happy
user, an Open Source supporter, and volunteer some of my time and resources to
answering questions.)

Best of luck to you, though.

                                                        ---Ken