Date:      Sat, 13 Jan 2001 14:55:42 -0800
From:      Adam Lau <adamlau@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   IPFilter, Squid, Snort Config

Hello,

I plan to put up a 4.2-RELEASE box running IPFilter 3.4.x. and had a few
questions. We have two boxes and three applications (IPFilter, Squid, Snort).

1. Should we go with IPFilter/Squid > Snort or IPFilter > Squid/Snort?
2. Since Snort has a win32 port, would it make sense to run Snort on a
hardened NT box as opposed to a BSD box? I remember one of my professors as
saying that a properly configured NT box is generally more secure that *NIX.
3. We need a second firewall between RADIUS server and SQL DB. Anybody have
any good experiences with Zorp? I do not know any Python. Would I still be
able to use Zorp? What is another recommended (free), application-level
firewall?
4. Would I be able to install Tripwire 2.2.1 for Linux (Intel) on the boxes
with Linux Binary Emulation enabled? Are there any drawbacks?
5. Trouble installing FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE on a box with Adaptec 29160 SCSI
controller. http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install-hw.html does not
indicate support for the 29160. Do I have to go out and purchase a
supported 294X controller?
6. This may be off topic, but is there an ISO image of OpenBSD 2.8
available for download? I looked all over the OpenBSD site with no luck.

Much thanks!