Date:      Mon, 19 May 2008 22:31:38 +0200
From:      Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Cc:        Martin Matuska <mm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ZFS lockup in "zfs" state

--nextPart1830900.nYTVAVdTCr

> I just experienced the same lockup in zfs state as other people did
> (Ivan Voras, Peter Schuller) - UFS filesystems still intact.
> There was heavy backup tar/gzip activity on the filesystem (read-only,
> write was to NFS) and lots of reads via NFS, the server was doing this
> job without problems for 11 days.

=46WIW, I've seen it a few more times on two different machines. Both runni=
ng=20
semi-new FreeBSD (I still don't think I ever saw this on earlier CURRENT:s).

In the case of both machines, the machine is only selectively hung. Possibl=
y=20
limited to the zfs file system - definitely not global to the pool. A remot=
e=20
reboot -q -n has been useful to recover without console access.

In both of these cases, more or less all activity of any amount is on ZFS f=
ile=20
systems. One of them has only ZFS except for swap on a UFS file system. The=
=20
other has root on UFS, but no bulk operations whatsoever happening (beyond=
=20
the usual periodics) except on ZFS.

No NFS on either machine.

=2D-=20